Our Team Expanded, Now What?!

After our game went through the midmortem presentations, our team expanded from 5 to 10 people! This includes 4 designers, 3 programmers, 1 artist, and 2 producers. I had to ensure that this process went smoothly and that each team member had some sort of defined roles.

To start, we reviewed the previous 5 person team’s working agreement and I asked each person if there was anything they wanted to add or remove from this document. We ended up adding some minor clarifications to the previous document, but overall each person bought into it. This was key for a successful merge like this.

The designers had the toughest time figuring out how to split up their work. The truth is, our game did not need 4 designers. It is a fairly straightforward concept, but we needed to make sure each person had a unique role. One designer, Aiden, decided that he would focus on creating sound and the audio pipeline for the game. This was vastly important for us to reach our goals of feel and polish. Zach decided to lead the fort building initiative to get that feature fleshed out and prototyped. Wes continued to be the lead designer making sure everything was going smoothly and working on VFX. Finally, Joe was more of a technical designer helping out with programming from time to time and providing useful information on the state of the build.

The programmers also had to figure out splitting work, but this happens more on a week by week basis. Co-production was also something I had to figure out with my new co-producer Max. Overall, I feel like we did a great job with combining roles and playing to each of our strengths. My strengths of running team meetings, and his strengths of documentation and our combined strengths of business knowledge.

Overall, we had a very successful merge, and I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out.

Exit